10 Easy Ways to Improve Your Home Security
In order to keep your family safe, it is a good idea to start right at home. Making sure that your home security is in tip top shape can often seem like a large task. Fortunately, there are several small ways to easily bolster the safety of your home without breaking the bank. These 10 helpful tips will aid your family to get the most out of your home’s security, you can choose best by checking reviews of home security systems.
- If you like to spend time in your yard gardening or making repairs to your house, make sure to put all of your ladders and tools away when you are finished. Potential burglars can climb ladders to get onto top floors and use heavy hammers or shovels to break windows.
- Skilled burglars have learned to check the garbage of potential targets to learn when they may not be home. Invest in a paper shredder and destroy any important paperwork that may hold information about your comings and goings.
- Make a habit of locking all of your doors and windows before leaving your home or falling asleep. While you may live in a safe neighborhood, it does not prevent potential criminals from coming inside.
- Once you install your camera surveillance system, confirm that all of the wires have been properly stowed away. Thieves with easy access to visible wires can bypass alarm systems by cutting them. Make sure that your wires are hidden both inside and outside of your home. Here’s a helpful blog on camera surveillance.
- Make sure that your alarm system is working properly at all times. If your device is faulty or goes off frequently for no reason, your neighbors may become used to hearing it activate and neglect to call the authorities. Having a system that works effectively is the best way to keep your family safe.
- Keep your tools and garage equipment out of the hands of robbers by painting the handles a recognizable color. An unusual color, such as purple, baby blue, or pink, is easy to describe and can quickly be traced back to the homeowner.
- While you may trust your family and friends on social media, it is a good idea not to mention that you are going out of town online. A distant acquaintance may overhear them speaking about your ongoing trip and choose to raid it before you get home, leaving you with quite the surprise upon your return.
- If you have recently installed a new window lock, melt solder on top of the screw heads. Individuals looking to break in can effortlessly unscrew screws that are exposed, and filling in the holes will keep your locks from being detached.
- When moving into a new home, make sure to immediately change all of the alarm passcodes and locks. While the family that you purchased your house from might seem trustworthy, it is impossible to know who else they may have given a key to. Keep safety first and quickly personalize your security in order to keep unwanted and potentially dangerous guests out of your residence.
- Add cellular monitoring to your security system. While a trespasser can quickly cut exposed phone wires, cellular monitoring is far more difficult to disengage.
There are many ways to keep you and your family safe from dangerous intruders. Make sure to remember these tips the next time you bolster your home security system in order to get the most out of your new safeguards.