Whatever be the information you need, you can get a hold of it through the internet. It’s the only know-it-all that’s filled with tons of information and has given rise to a new era of connectivity. Nobody really owns this marvel for it’s a collection of networks from almost every part of the globe. Any network, both small and big is capable of connecting together to form an internet.
This infinity of networks has in fact given rise to a modern world that stays connected even when you’re asleep. But in this huge network of information, can you really access or keep your data secure? Unfortunately, the answer is no. It’s therefore at your own risk that you toggle with your data on the internet.
Isn’t there any form of security over the internet? The good news is, yes! There are many secure ways to connect to the internet and keep your activity private in this network of data. A VPN allows you to privately connect to another network over the internet and secure your data from being tampered with. Here’s a simple guide to help you understand about why you need a VPN network:
All you need to know about the Virtual Private Network or VPN
When your computer is connected to a VPN network, all the traffic that flows through your network is send over to your VPN using a secure connection. Your computer is still connected to the overall network, but the data transfer over the internet takes place over a secure connection making it idle for private and highly secure data transfer.
When you try to browse the web over a VPN connection, your computer reaches out to the internet only through an encrypted connection in the VPN. The best VPN service simply acts as a medium that forwards information from both the ends through a secure passage. This passage can’t be accessed by anyone else other than the ones connected to the VPN network. This ensured that your activity over the internet is safe and not snooped by anyone else.
How you can benefit from using a VPN
VPNs are simple tools, but when it comes to their uses, it’s enormous. Some of the most common uses of a VPN network are listed below:
- Access your business network privately – If you want to access your business network you can very well access it through a private VPN connection. All your business related information need not be directly exposed to the internet. You might be required to share a lot of business related information with others and VPN sets a private, tamper-free, and a secure channel for your business transactions.
- Stay connected to your home network where ever you go – Are you going to be away from home? Don’t worry! You can still connect to your home network using a VPN. This will allow you to access your computer and its files from where ever you are.
- Keep your browsing data hidden from your Local Network – If you are accessing a public Wi-Fi internet connection, then every non-HTTPS website that you visit can be seen by other users connected to the same network. If you wish to hide your browsing activity, you can connect to a VPN network over the Wi-Fi.
- Connect to a Geo-Blocked website – If you travel out of your country and try to access your Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, and many other websites, they might get geo-blocked. But you can simply connect to a VPN in your country and access these geo-blocked websites without any interference.
- Download your private and highly secure files – Some files that you share over the internet might need high security. You can download these files over a VPN connection and let go of your fears of being snooped.
- Bypass firewalls and other network restriction – Using a VPN sometimes allow you to bypass a firewall, and get access to the entire internet. But this doesn’t work every time.
Setting up a VPN for your Windows OS
When it comes to a windows operating system, connecting to a Virtual Private Network is fairly simple. You can access your Network and connectivity tab from the control panel. Click on the Set up a virtual private network (VPN) connection for setting up your own VPN for your computer. You can simply enter the login credentials and the address of your VPN network. You can then connect to your desired VPN network and safeguard your browsing data.
Focus on staying safe over the internet. Don’t let your privacy get tampered. Today, a large number of misappropriate actions take place over the internet. Securing your data and staying safe is essential for every internet user!