The first thing that comes to mind when we speak of cyber attacks and the need for cyber security is that it will never happen to us. This is the problem, hackers can hack anything anytime and at any place. Nothing is sacrosanct anymore. The only way to stay safe is to follow these tips:
- Keep your software up to date. All your operating systems should have the check mark against Automatic updates. Automatic updates are there for a reason and the reason is to keep your system safe. Even your browsers should be good ones like Google Chrome or Firefox which regularly update them. You should also update the plugins and extensions regularly.
- Everyone knows that they should never share their passwords or write them down but the most common mistake is keeping a password that is easy to remember such as birth dates, anniversary dates etc. The hackers can easily hack your system and take control of your life, so ensure that your passwords are long and they have both alphanumeric as well as special characters in them. Do not repeat the same password again and again and do not keep the same password in all your systems, emails etc.
- Get threat detection done frequently. Install threat detection to secure your data. Get a good anti virus installed. Do not opt for anti-virus that are not known and do not download free anti virus as they can have malware in them.
- Many of us nowadays use public wifi and we think that it is great as we are getting it for free. Care should be taken while using public wifi because your data can be compromised. Many people have had their phones and laptops hacked while using public wifi.
- Nowadays everything is being shared on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. Be careful with what you are sharing. These social media platforms are an easy way for people to get into your life, learn everything about you and to use that info against you. We do not say that you should not use social media, but when you use it use it with some discretion.
- Do not use public or shared computers to bank or shop online. Use only trusted computers and devices to do this activity. In public or shared computers there could be malware that can easily track your information and you could end up losing a lot of money and in some cases even your identity too as identity theft is very common nowadays.
- Always keep the firewall in your system on. The firewall in your system is there for a reason, do not turn it off.