Project management is a broad subject that many entrepreneurs and managers, especially aspiring ones like you, seem unfamiliar with how it truly works. From the initial planning to securing all tasks’ deadlines are met, managing a team is not straightforward.
The proper attribution of individual roles & responsibilities, for instance, is often overlooked. And as a result, the project’s outcome is mediocre— or worst, a failure. To help you understand what project management is, we will discuss in this article how PRINCE2 Methodology works effectively in every type of campaign.
What is a PRINCE2 Methodology?
Also known as Projects in Controlled Environments, this methodology is a system of techniques and practices that are used primarily for project management. It is also known for its set of independent roles and hierarchy phases, which aids to control and supervise a campaign with ease. PRINCE2 is widely used in several countries including European states, the United Kingdom, and Australia. It is, however, adopted and developed entirely as a standard method for the UK government’s information systems.
Principles, Roles, & Responsibilities
This methodology is comprised of several stages. Each of it has separate responsibilities and purpose which helps to achieve a campaign’s objective. In this section, you will learn the core principles, roles, and responsibilities of PRINCE2.
The Seven Principles
This methodology is consisting of seven principles. And it includes:
- Continued business justification. It is a principle in which the project should have a justifiable reason why it needs to stay. And if there are none— practical benefits, for instance— then the campaign must be stopped.
- Learn from experience. This methodology lets the project manager’s team to get involved and learn something within the creation process, as well as to continue enhancing their skills.
- Clear definition of roles & responsibilities. It is an essential principle which dictates that every individual who is involved in the campaign should have a clear insight on what their role and responsibility is. The project manager should define clearly what tasks each member needs to focus on as well.
- Manage in stages. PRINCE2, just like any project management approach, promotes the separating and dividing of a project into several phases. This way, each member or team can efficiently manage and control their tasks. It will also allow them to create a well-thought plan for the campaign’s necessities and duration.
- Manage by exception. Team members have a right and equal opportunity and authority to run the campaign as well as to coordinate within the controlled environment. Project managers, on the other hand, is responsible for delegating everyday tasks and governing the project’s budget and duration. And if damaging issues are circulating within the team, the project board has the right to step in and mandate what should be done.
- Focus on maintaining the product’s quality. This approach is a product-focused method. As stated in the PRINCE2 manual, “a PRINCE2 project focuses on the definition and delivery of products, in particular, their quality requirements.” In this principle, the team and the other levels of the hierarchy are responsible for overseeing and continuous checking of product delivery, requirements, and definition.
- Tailored approach. One of the beneficial advantages of this method is that it is flexible. PRINCE2 can be customized according to the campaign’s requirements such as complexity, environment, size, scope, capacity, importance, and threats.
Roles & Responsibilities
PRINCE2 is composed of distinct roles as well. Each of it is integral and plays a vital part in a campaign’s completion. It includes:
- Corporate Manager. The responsibility of a corporate manager is to oversee and define a project’s mandate and each level’s capacity. This position also entails the assurance that the venture will produce profits. Folks who execute this job are typically called project sponsor.
- Project Manager. As what the term suggests, this role involves administering day-to-day tasks and improvements. They also perform functions such as collaborating and reporting back to the upper level regarding the project’s progress. It is also impossible for this position to merge with other roles as well as to have its hierarchy level due to being pivotal.
- Project Board. Also called as the steering community, this level in the hierarchy is responsible for providing funds as well as essential information and resources the Project Manager and his team needs. This role is usually comprised of business-oriented folks and critical decision-makers, which are all seen as the campaign’s executives.
- Project Team. This one is composed of various individuals that share the same qualities and experiences. They are responsible for implementing and producing a particular campaign on or within the agreed date, budget, and quality level. The member’s roles vary depending on the scope of the project as well. Some can perform support roles such as asset management and administrative duties.
A stakeholder is another crucial aspect in the hierarchy of PRINCE2. This level is generally composed of various individuals that share a common interest in the campaign. It includes:
- Business Sponsors – These folks are responsible for making sure that the venture is going to produce quality end for profit.
- Users – These are the people who are going to use the product produced by the campaign.
- Suppliers – They are the individuals who deliver quality staff or resources to provide and improve the campaign further.
As an employer or a manager, one of the biggest challenges towards success is how to accomplish a project efficiently. The campaign’s victory, on the other hand, is not a piece of cake. And more often than not, it relies on whether the methodology used is high-caliber or substandard. That said, it is critical for every project to have a well-thought and tailored approach first as it serves as a general guide for the entire process.